Many people use social media to keep in contact with friends and family, but burglars can use what you share online to know when your house isn’t occupied. Here are some tips to deter would-be thieves:
- Don’t share when you and your family will be out of the house for extended periods of time.
- Don’t use Facebook or other applications to check in with your physical location.
- Make sure that those traveling with you are not sharing your location without your permission.
- Wait until you are home to post photos from a vacation.
- Update social media sites to give the impression that you are home.
- Remember to check the privacy and location settings on your mobile phone and social media sites.